FAQ & Useful Links

Owners Corporation - General

  • What is an Owners Corporation?

    The role of the Owners Corporation is to manage the common property of a residential, commercial, retail, industrial or mixed-use property development. The Owners Corporation is created when a plan of subdivision is registered with Land Victoria, and anyone that owns a lot within the plan of subdivision becomes a member of the Owners Corporation.

  • What is common property?

    Common property includes any parts of the land, buildings and airspace that are not private lots owned by an individual on the plan of subdivision. Common property may include gardens, passages, walls, pathways, driveways, stairs, lifts, car parks, foyers and fences. These common areas are collectively owned by the lot owners as tenants-in-common.

  • What is the role of an Owners Corporation Manager?

    An Owners Corporation Manager must, among other things, manage, administer, repair and maintain the common property. The Manager looks after the operations of the Owners Corporation and this includes tasks such as collecting fees/levies, maintaining insurance, keeping of financial records, organising meetings, and providing advice. If a Committee is elected at the Annual General Meeting, the Manager will work closely with the members of the Committee to ensure the Owners Corporation is managed in the manner the Committee wants.

  • What is the role of a Building Manager?

    The Owners Corporation may choose to employ a Building Manager to assist in the management of the building’s day-to-day operations. The Building Manager regularly communicates with the Committee and Owners Corporation regarding any issues that may arise.

  • As an owner of a lot, how can I be involved in the management of the building?

    If you wish to be involved in the management of your building, 1 OC suggest that you become a member of the Owners Corporation Committee. Buildings with 13 or more lots must elect a Committee at the Annual General Meeting each year and the Committee must consist of between three to twelve lot owners. The Owners Corporation typically delegates powers to the Committee so that the Committee can make decisions regarding the building’s day-to-day operations. Please attend the next Annual General Meeting if you wish to become a part of the Owners Corporation Committee.

  • How does an Owners Corporation make decisions?

    Decisions within the Owners Corporation are made either at meetings or by ballot. Each lot holds one vote and decisions are made by a simple majority of votes unless the decision requires a special resolution or unanimous resolution as outlined in the Owners Corporation Act 2006. Owners may require that a poll is taken based on one vote for each unit of lot entitlement instead of one vote per lot. Some decisions must be made at General Meetings and other decisions can be delegated to the Committee to vote on.

  • What are the laws and rules governing my Owners Corporation and conduct as an owner or occupier of a building that has an Owners Corporation?

    The management and conduct of the Owners Corporation is predominantly governed by the Owners Corporations Act 2006, Subdivision Act 1988, Owners Corporation Regulations 2018, Model Rules and Special Rules specific to your Owners Corporation. There are a variety of other laws that do not relate specifically to Owners Corporations that also apply generally.

Annual General Meetings (AGM)

  • What is an Annual General Meeting?

    Annual General Meeting (AGM) as the name suggests is a meeting that is held once a year. At the AGM, lot owners have the opportunity to discuss issues relating to common property, financial matters and elect the Committee for the next year. The owner is provided with 14 days written confirmation of an upcoming AGM. Minutes of the AGM are sent to owners within 14 days after the AGM is held.

  • Can I vote without attending in person?

    If you are unable to attend the AGM, you can appoint a person to vote on your behalf by providing them with a proxy in the prescribed form. If you wish to nominate a proxy, please complete the proxy form that is located in your Owner’s and Resident’s Portal (hyperlink) and return to your Owners Corporation Manager. The proxy form is also provided with the Notice of AGM.


  • How are Owner Corporation fees/levies calculated?

    The Owners Corporation fees/levies are calculated based on the Administration Fund budget and Maintenance Fund budget (if there is a Maintenance Fund budget. Not all buildings are required to have a Maintenance Fund Budget). The proportion of fees/levies payable by each lot is determined by their lot liability. Lot liability is determined during the development of the property.

  • How do I pay my fees/levies and how often do I pay them?

    The Owners Corporation will determine at the Annual General Meeting the frequency of the fees/levies to be paid. However, it is typically paid quarterly, and you can easily pay them by going to the Pay your Fees/Levies link (Hyperlink)


  • What does my Administration Fund fees/levies pay for?

    Your Administration Fund fees/levies cover all estimated and anticipated repairs and maintenance as well as ongoing expenses of the common property. It also covers administration and insurance expenses. Examples of costs covered in your fees/levies are lift maintenance, window cleaning, general cleaning, electricity, fire services, rubbish collection and management services.

  • What is the difference between the Administration Fund and Maintenance Fund?

    The Administration Fund covers expenses that relate to the day-to-day running of the Owners Corporation such as rubbish collection, cleaning, insurance and electricity.

    The Maintenance Fund is in place to look after expenses that relate to the long-term care of the Owners Corporation. All Owners Corporations that have more than 100 lots or annual Administration Fund fees/levies in excess of $200,000 must have a Maintenance Plan that will set out the long-term needs of the Owners Corporation and will determine the appropriate Maintenance Fund fees/levies. The Maintenance Fund will cover expenses for major capital items that require repair or replacement such as a lift upgrade/refurbishment, painting of all common areas, carpet upgrade/refurbishment and a façade upgrade/refurbishment.

  • Why do I receive multiple fees/levies for different Owners Corporations?

    Some buildings that have a mix of residential apartments and commercial/retail lots have multiple Owners Corporations to cover the expenses for each category of owner. This is also commonly seen in buildings where not all apartments have a car park space. In these circumstances you will typically receive one set of fees/levies for the unlimited Owners Corporation and typically one or two additional fees/levies for different limited Owners Corporations.

  • Why have the fees/levies changed?

    The fees/levies can rise depending on repairs and maintenance issues that needs to be addressed on common property for the upcoming year. Additionally, service providers’ charges often increase year on year. The Owners Corporation’s budget and changes to the fees/levies are discussed and voted on by all owners at the AGM.


  • What does Owners Corporation insurance cover?

    Typically, the Owners Corporation insurance covers the building structure, as well as the following items relating to common property: contents, legal liability, workers compensation, fidelity guarantee and office bearers insurance. It does not cover personal belongings or public liability inside your lot. For a comprehensive list of what is covered and more specific information for your Owners Corporation you are able to obtain a copy of the Owners Corporation insurance policy from the Owner’s and Resident’s Portal (hyperlink).

    Please note: The advice offered by 1 OC is of a general nature only and we encourage all Owners Corporation members to seek their own insurance advice.

  • How do I lodge a claim through my Owners Corporation insurance?

    If you wish to lodge a claim please fill out the insurance claim form located in your Owner’s and Resident’s Portal (hyperlink) and provide the completed form to your Owners Corporation Manager.

    Please note: The advice offered by 1 OC is of a general nature only and we encourage all Owners Corporation members to seek their own insurance advice.

  • Who pays the excess for a claim that is lodged?

    All lot owners are covered by the Owners Corporation’s insurance policy however where an insurance policy has an excess the claimant is liable to pay for that excess when making a claim.

    Please note: The advice offered by 1 OC is of a general nature only and we encourage all Owners Corporation members to seek their own insurance advice.


  • How do I make a Complaint?

    A lot owner or an occupier of a lot or a manager may make a complaint to the Owners Corporation about an alleged breach by a lot owner or an occupier of a lot or a manager of an obligation imposed on that person by the Owners Corporation Act 2006 or the regulations or the rules of the Owners Corporation.

    In order to lodge a complaint with the Owners Corporation, it must be in writing in the approved form. You are able to obtain the form from your Owner’s and Resident’s Portal (hyperlink). Please submit the completed form to your Owners Corporation Manager.

  • How are Complaints resolved?

    The Owners Corporation or the Grievance Committee, where one exists, must organise a meeting between the parties to the dispute to discuss the dispute within twenty-one days of the complaint coming to the attention of the parties. If the dispute remains unresolved, the Owners Corporation may elect to (1) take no further action (2) to serve the offending party with a Breach Notice and subsequently with a Final Breach Notice if the situation is not rectified after the first Notice is issued. If the situation remains unresolved the Owners Corporation may elect to make an application to VCAT.

    Individuals as members of the Owners Corporation have the right to make an application directly to VCAT. VCAT has the authority to impose penalties for breaches of the law/rules and make a variety of Orders.


  • How do I change my address?

    If you wish to update your address, please log in to the Owner’s and Resident’s Portal (hyperlink) and update your contact details. You will also need to notify your Owners Corporation Manager of this change by emailing admin@1oc.com.au.

  • How do I access my Owner’s and Resident’s Portal?

    Following the settlement of your lot, you will receive personal login details for the portal. If you have any issues accessing the portal please contact admin@1oc.com.au. Please ensure that all occupiers of your lot contact admin@1oc.com.au, to register their details and obtain their personal login details.

  • How can I order a new key?

    You can order a new key, fob or remote by completing the Key Request form located in your Owner’s and Resident’s Portal (hyperlink) and submitting the completed form to your Owners Corporation Manager.

  • Do I need approval from the Owners Corporation to have a pet?

    Please fill out and submit the Pet Request form located in your Owner’s and Resident’s Portal (hyperlink). Pursuant to the Owners Corporation Rules, to keep a pet, you are required to obtain prior written consent from the Owners Corporation after you have submitted the Pet Request form to keep a pet (this does not apply to pets that are required for assistance with a disability such as a guide dog).

  • Care for your lot

    As a Lot owner in an Owners Corporation you have an obligation to properly maintain any part of the lot that affects the outward appearance of the lot. If the lot owner fails to carry out their obligations, then the Owners Corporation has the power to serve a Notice requiring the lot owner to attend to specific works within 28 days.

    If the requested repairs are not carried out within 28 days, the Owners Corporation may carry out the necessary repairs, maintenance or other works to the owner’s lot and recover the costs of the works from the owner.

  • Owners Corporation Certificates

    If you require an Owners Corporation Certificate for the sale or purchase of a lot, please complete the Owners Corporation Certificate Request form located in the Owner’s and Resident’s Portal (hyperlink) and submit it to your Owners Corporation Manager.

    There are fees associated with the request of an Owners Corporation Certificate and this will depend on how many Owners Corporations you require a Certificate for and if you are happy to wait the full 10 days to receive a certificate or if you need to pay for an urgent fee. The fees for this Certificate are noted in the Owners Corporation Certificate Request form.

    The Owners Corporation Certificate will include the following information: fees payable in respect of the lot; fees and charges that are imposed or proposed to be imposed on the lot; fees and other money owing in respect of the lot; insurance; repairs and maintenance; the funds held by the Owners Corporation; liabilities and contingent liabilities of the Owners Corporation including any liabilities or contingent liabilities arising from legal proceedings; contracts, leases, licences and agreements affecting the common property; services provided to lot owners and occupiers and the public; notices and orders served on the Owners Corporation; legal proceedings to which the Owners Corporation is a party; the manager; any appointment of an administrator; and the Owners Corporation Certificate will be accompanied by—a copy of the rules, or, if the rules have been amended the consolidated rules of the Owners Corporation as recorded on the Register; a statement in the prescribed form providing advice and information to prospective purchasers and lot owners; a copy of all resolutions made at the last annual general meeting of the Owners Corporation; any other documents of a prescribed kind; and a statement advising that further information on prescribed matters can be obtained by inspection of the Owners Corporation register.


  • How do I report a maintenance issue relating to common property?

    If you wish to lodge a maintenance issue in relation to common property, please log into your Owner’s and Resident’s Portal (hyperlink) and lodge a request. If the matter is urgent, please telephone the office during office hours. Please see below in relation to urgent matters that arise after hours.

  • Who do I contact for an after hours emergency relating to common property?

    For all after hours emergencies relating to common property, please contact the number located on this website for after hours emergency assistance. Please note that this after hour service is for common property only.